Saturday, January 13, 2007

Mr. C

My student teacher this year is incredible. First and foremost, he adores the kids. He enjoys their wild, wonderful spirits, listents to their stories with rapture, and fills the playground with his own raw energy---running, screaming, and playing hard.

He's in charge, all day, everyday, starting next Tuesday. I hate being away from my class, but that's just cuz of my selfishness. I like being surrounded by little people who love and need me. But they will still learn plenty because they are in good hands. And Mr. C is going to learn that he can do it on his own, that he is not only able to hold things together, but that he is a capable teacher.

I got a little tripped out yesterday when I was planning with him and I realized just how firecely he hangs on every word I say. Also, I'll often notice him interacting with the kids in ways that are very similar to the ways I interact with them. It's a feeling even stranger than watching Easter talk to her dolls like I talk to her---it's a heavy weight of responsibility as I come to understand that I'm shaping this teacher's whole career. Each class he ever has will be full of little people that he teaches in ways that he learned from me. I am overwhelmed by this realization, but I'm also somewhat thrilled by it. I'm grateful that I've been able to do things this year with my own teaching that I can be proud about---I've been true enough to my own ideals of best teaching practice that I can say, with confidence, that I'm glad this is what he's learning.

No comments: