Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Clue #1

I adjusted my glasses and looked carefully at Easter, who was sitting at the kitchen table eating scrambled eggs. She was brand new to America and had only lived in our house two days. How well can she communicate in English, I wondered? What sort of a little person is she? Will she like me? Meanwhile, Duncan, our enormous Bernese Mountain Dog, was eating his breakfast. After Duncan finished his dog food I firmly commanded him, "Duncan, outside." Instead of obeying, he ran away from me, hustling to get away from the outside door. I stood up and walked toward him and repeated, louder, "Duncan, outside." He hurried around to the other side of the kitchen table, where I couldn't grab his collar. He looked at me with playful defiance. Suddenly Easter burst into a loud, mischievous giggle. "He refuses," she said.

No comments: